Monday, 17 September 2012

Autumn

For me, Autumn is not just a season of change, but a time to try new things. I love this time of year when the leaves start changing, the nights draw in, and I'm allowed to light the fire again!

As for trying new things, A Beautiful Mess have inspired me to create some simple goals for the season. As Elsie explains on A Beautiful Mess, I want to set life-enriching goals that are actually easy to do, but lack that fuel to actually get them done. So, here goes...

1. Cook seasonal recipes frequently. I love cooking! There's something lovely about pleasing your favourite people with a good meal that is really satisfying, and I think Autumn and Winter have the best recipes. This weekend I cooked a Butternut Squash, Sweet Potato and Red Pepper soup which was gorgeous (if I do say so myself) but its a recipe I did last year so I'd like to try new things. (If you have any seasonal recipes you think I'd like, please let me know!) I think I may even start my own recipe book.
2. Hand make lots of Christmas goodies. This is quite a challenging one for me... although I know I have a good eye behind a lens, I struggle when it comes to delicate handmade things as I can be quite clumsy. I've recently started cross stitching and I've started a scrap book to try to help me hone in on my handy work. Six months of stitching by machine for a living obviously didn't rub off! It's the same feeling of satisfaction that you get from cooking too, so I cant wait to get properly stuck in.
3. Learn to not overspend. I get so much joy out of a new dress or pair of shoes, it's quite sad. But I get even more joy out of saving money. I'm really in a point in my life where I would like to move out in the next 12 months and I can't do that without a good financial backing. I need to retrain my mind to be more loving towards my bank account. My employers offer a Christmas savings scheme which means I don't have to put anything back for the season, but it also means that I feel like I have spare cash. Instead, I must pay my debts and leave it in a savers account to grow... This is definitely going to be the most difficult.
4. Photograph more. I constantly set myself this goal but never seem to actually achieve it - except for on my iPhone. I have 3 cameras with film rolls that need to be used up, as well as neglecting my DSLR when I'm not working with it. My Dad's borrowing it next week (dum dum dumm!) and after that, I'm going to make a little promise to carry it as frequently as possible in my bag. Just me and 50mm until New Year.

I'll report back with progress soon.
Rosie x

No comments:

Post a Comment