Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Pumpkin Carving - Michael Jackson in Thriller (with template!)


It's no secret that I loooooove Michael Jackson's music. I even remember the first time I saw Thriller.... My Aunty and Uncle owned a pub locally and were the first people I knew which had Sky TV. Every Halloween they threw a fancy dress party. I was in my witches costume sat at the bar drinking a blue Panda Pop and snacking on Pringles. (I was only allowed to drink blue ones on the weekend because of the E numbers which these things used to have!) Above the bar, the telly was tuned on to MTV. A ticker tape running across the bottom of the screen read 'After the break, Michael Jackson's Thriller.' And the rest is history!


The Wunderbar announced a pumpkin carving competition, so I thought I'd give it a go, MJ style! I searched the net for a decent template but couldn't find anything I was confident with. In the end I Photoshopped myself a version of a teeny tiny template I found.

Pumpkin carving when you have eczema on your hands is no fun so I slipped on some rubber gloves and fleshed out the pumpkin using a scooping tool from a supermarket carving kit. Next I taped the template to the pumpkin and marked holes half a centimetre apart around the whole design using a plastic instrument like this. Then I joined up the dots to make sure I didn't carve it incorrectly and got to work.



As I've said before, I don't have the daintiest of hands so I did make a good few mistakes but I don't think you can tell. It took me a couple of hours to cut the design through but I am chuffed with the results! Excuse the iPhone photo.



Michael Jackson's Thriller Pumpkin Template

Here's the template I used if you'd like to print it and use for yourself. Have a happy Halloween!


2 comments:

  1. Awesome. Love this! Thriller is the best. Happy Halloween!

    http://www.thedailywild.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halloween is my favorite occasion in a year, pumpkin carving is the most enjoyable part of it. This year, we will try different pumpkin carving ideas and I'm gonna get some inspiration here. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete