Saturday, 3 November 2012

Mulled Cider with a Sloe Gin Kick

Last year before watching the local firework display - which we can see perfectly from our bedroom window - I made some mulled cider. Tonight was the night of the 2012 local display so I recreated my recipe.. sort of! In a couple of weeks we'll be going to Wells Carnival and I plan to make enough mulled cider to fill a couple Thermos flasks to keep us warm for the night!

Here's my home made mulled cider recipe - with a sloe gin kick.


You will need:
A litre of cider (any will do as it'll be boiled up! I used Thatchers Gold.)
200ml of sloe gin
2 or 3 cinnamon sticks or a tea spoon of ground cinnamon
Half a dozen cloves
A couple of slices of orange
A tea spoon of muscavado sugar or honey to taste

Pour your cider in to a large pan with the cinnamon and cloves. Allow it to heat slowly, stirring every few minutes, until it comes to a slight boil. This should take about 10 minutes.
Turn off the heat, add the orange slices and sloe gin, cover and allow it to simmer for another couple of minutes.

Ladle the cider in to mugs! And that's it! It's so warming and spicy, the perfect winter hot-cocktail! Be careful though - adding the sloe gin at the end means it doesn't burn off any alcohol content. I am definitely writing this with a woozy head :)




No comments:

Post a Comment