Thursday, 14 March 2013

Mojito Cupcakes



If you know me, you'll know I love cocktails. No matter where we go and how expensive they are, I will always order a cocktail if they're on the menu. Mixology is a skill, and sometimes a work of art. I'd love to do a cocktail training course one day!

I had the idea to make mojito cupcakes after we decided to do a bake sale at work for Red Nose Day. I wanted something different and fruity - and of course something that would sell. I combined my love of cocktails and baking together, and allowed people to think they were consuming alcohol at work! Win win!



To make 12 cupcakes, you will need;
110g butter
225g golden caster sugar
2 eggs
150g self raising flour
125g plain flour
50ml semi-skimmed milk
70ml white rum (I used Bacardi)
Zest from 1 lime
A few leaves of fresh mint, finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 160°C fan, 180°C/gas mark 4.
Arrange your cases in a muffin tin - mine are from Sainsburys.
Cream the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until pale and smooth, and then mix in the eggs one at a time, whisking constantly.
Add in the lime zest and mint and give it another whisk for a minute or two - you need to allow the flavours to come out through the mix.
Sieve both the plain and self-raising flour together. In a jug, mix your milk and rum together.
Add 1/3 of the flour and whisk it in. Then add 1/3 of the rum and milk mix and whisk again. Repeat this until you've got a light mixture, and then spoon evenly into your cases.
Cook your cakes for around 25/30 minutes, but keep an eye on them. All recipes and ovens are different!
Once they're cooked take them out of the oven and allow them to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before moving them to a wire rack and allowing them to cool thoroughly.

To make the frosting;
80g butter
300g icing sugar
Juice from 1 lime
Food colouring

Gently whisk together the butter, lime juice, lime zest and half the icing sugar.
Gradually add the rest of the icing until you get a good stiff consistency. Don't forget to add a couple drops of green food colouring if you'd like!
I tend to mix my frosting a lot and it goes kind of gloopy, so I put it in the fridge whilst the cakes are cooling down to stiffen it up a little more. You need to give it a good mix when it comes out though.

To decorate the cupcakes, use a pallette knife to smooth the icing onto the cakes. I cut up green and white paper straws and pushed them through the cakes so they stood upright. Behind them I pushed in a sprig of mint and then sprinkled green sugar decorations all over to give them a bit of a glitter.


They taste GOOD. Although, you can't taste the rum that much so I think I will try them using some rum flavouring next time (Silverspoon do this!)

Let me know if you give this recipe a try! Or do you have any other cocktail-based baking tips?
Rosie xx

PS. If you like these, you might like my Candy Cane Cupcakes too! :)

8 comments:

  1. Oh this is fun! What a great idea!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea for cupcakes! Lovely blog :)

    ♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look divine: I've had my eye on trying the Mojito cupcakes out of the Hummingbird Bakery book for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get this book, I've heard SO much about it!
      Rosie x

      Delete
  4. a must try! thanks for the enticing recipe! may i please post this on my blgo? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen cocktail flavored cupcakes before but adding a straw is the cutest idea ever. Love how you think. :)

    ReplyDelete