Monday, 1 April 2013

Easter Leftovers : Rice Krispie Rocky Road




This morning I tweeted one of our nations favourite chefs, Nigella Lawson, asking for recipe ideas to help me use up of my Easter eggs. She replied "use up?" and since then my Twitter mentions have been full of abusive tweets telling me to 'get over myself and just eat them' etc etc... Well, Twitter, no I will not just eat them. Nigella's actually deleted her reply now, possibly because she realised everyone is just a massive meany on Twitter and she tried to make me feel stupid. Heh.

I don't get a lot of joy out of shovelling chocolate. I'd much prefer to eat crisps, nuts, peanuts, more crisps... I prefer savoury to chocolate and always have.  I knew that if I didn't find a way to use them up today, they'd be hanging around for weeks until eventually they'd be thrown out. I wanted to think of something I could make really easily as I wasn't really in the mood for 'proper' baking. In the end I decided to mix up a favourite Christmas recipe and make some rocky road.


You will need;
300g chocolate - I used 2 Cadbury's eggs and a Lindt bunny.
200g rice krispies
50g mini marshmallows
40g golden syrup
Coloured chocolate sweets for decoration

Loosely line a baking tray or a couple of smaller tins or even lunch boxes with greaseproof paper.
Melt down all your chocolate. You can do this in the microwave, over a bowl of hot water on the hob, or just very gently in a saucepan. I did it in a saucepan and it went a bit stiff, so I added a slosh of milk to loosen it up.
Next up, stir in the golden syrup to thicken it and make it sticky. Turn the heat down and allow it to cool for a couple of minutes.
Stir in the krispies, marshmallows and chocolate sweets, making sure everything is coated in chocolate goo.
Spoon the mixture into your trays/tins and spread evenly. Sprinkle a few more of the coloured sweets on the top. Allow it to cool completely at room temperature, and then put in the fridge to set which will take about an hour.
When it's done, lift out the rocky road, peel off the greaseproof paper and cut up into bite size pieces.

I've already got mine in a lunchbox back in the fridge ready to take to the office in the morning. It's meant that I've not got any chocolate lying around the house begging to be eaten and my colleagues will be very happy to see me tomorrow!

Want to mix up the recipe a bit? You could use white chocolate, add crushed mini eggs, even use mashed up digestive biscuits instead of rice krispies. The possibilities are endless :)

Hope you've all had a happy Easter. Rosie x

4 comments:

  1. Those look so delicious! Can't go wrong with Cadbury eggs! Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, whats with the meanness?! I'd be shocked receiving that response! I'm glad you ignored it and found this yummy recipe, this sounds amazing. and you can never have enough rice crispes ;)

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-O Screw Nigella and the meanies on twitter! this recipe looks delicious!

    Francesca xo
    http://yummylikecake.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe how delicious this looks!

    Have a great day,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete