Monday, 24 June 2013

Grafton Street, Dublin


Grafton Street is in the heart of Dublin, famous for it's buskers and affluent shoppers. Even Damien Rice used to sing here! There were live statues, musicians, sand sculptures, bubble blowers - all sorts. Back in 2008, Grafton Street was the 5th most expensive street in the world to shop on, hence all the buskers. Hey - if people are shopping there, then they've got money to spare, right?

At the bottom of Grafton Street is the world-famous Molly Malone statue, the muse behind the unofficial anthem of Dublin. Tale says that she used to trapes around the streets selling cockles and mussels by day, but preferred a 'different sort' of job by night. Nevertheless, Ms Malone is the spirit of Dublin and features in traditional songs and names of pubs.


In Dublin's Fair City
Where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
As she wheel'd her wheel barrow
Through streets broad and narrow
Crying cockles and mussels
 alive, alive o!


Amazing sand sculpture
POP!


As we wandered up Grafton Street in the blazing sun late on Sunday morning, we realised one thing was missing. Ice cream. We couldn't find any, but we did find Gino's Gelato, and oh my gosh it was amazing!



Gelato is so much creamier than ice cream, and it has less fat. Winner!



Ash went for white chocolate and I chose Oreo. It was so lovely! I wish we went back to try a few other flavours - they had bubble gum, passion fruit, coffee swirl and lemon cake as well as a LOT more.



My Dad is a gem at spotting things I would have missed, like this plaque about Chris de Burgh. Everyone knows 'Lady in Red' right??


Although we didn't spend any money on Grafton Street except for gelato, you felt like you were walking amongst the wealthy. The stores were beautifully decorated, the streets were buzzing, everything was in bloom and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. A perfect morning perusing another snippet of Dublin.


Mum and I


To see more from our Dublin trip, click here! Rosie x

8 comments:

  1. Hello! Stopping over from Love Taza's blog. Just wanted to say that I think the link in your signature when you post comments is broken.

    I love Dublin too!

    Maria xx
    www.cheekypinktulip.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by :) I haven't changed any of the standard Blogger coding for comments so not sure what's happening. Thanks for letting me know though, I'll check it out tomorrow! X

      Delete
  2. Wow Dublin looks so pretty! I have never been before but plan on going to stay with a friend soon! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! I'd really recommend the hotel we stayed in - this one: http://www.academyplazahotel.ie/
      Such a great location and we booked in advance so it was quite cheap
      Rosie x

      Delete
  3. Amazing post and beautiful pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dublin looks amazing! I'm having mega cravings now for gelato! Have you ever tried yoghurt gelato? It is seriously, seriously amazing!

    www.ciderwithrosie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoghurt gelato?? So is it kinda like froyo?! X

      Delete