Monday, 3 June 2013

The Flip Side : The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

Record collecting has become a great hobby for us. Whether it's visiting a local store (like we did this Record Store Day), scouring charity shops, planning trips to faraway stores or searching on eBay, Ash and I have fallen in love with collecting (he a little more than I) and so ... a new feature is born. I hope "The Flip Side" will give you a little peek into our collection and bring something new to this blog.


Artist: The Smiths
Album Title: The Queen Is Dead
Release Year: 1986
Label: Rough Trade
Bought From: Camden Stables Market, London (March 2010)
Price: £14
Special Features: Original gate fold. Message in the matrix.
Favourite Song: There Is A Light That Never Goes Out


We fell in love with The Smiths a while ago. I love Morrissey's lyrics, Ash loves Marr's guitar techniques. The bleakness of 'I Know It's Over' combined with the slightly more upbeat and a pinch ridiculous 'Vicar in a Tutu' makes this album something special, and I can imagine it being (under)groundbreaking at the time.


 My favourite song from is definitely 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.' You just need to read the lyrics to understand it - "Take me out tonight, where there's music and there's people and they're young and alive." In fact, I love all of the sad, mellow Smiths songs, like 'Please, Please' and even have lyrics from 'How Soon Is Now?' tattooed on me. What's your favourite Smiths song?


This was actually one of the first records we bought together. We'd been to London for a couple of nights, to watch Underoath at Koko, but also went to the Dungeons, Natural History Museum, Hard Rock Cafe and naturally, Camden. There's some great little record stores in the High Street, but we found this inside the Stables Market.


We're lucky that our record is in pretty good condition - there's a few little scratches and some creases on the sleeve, but compared to some other originals we've found, we really can't complain. I adore having lyrics printed on the sleeve or included in the pocket (throwback to learning the words from Shout magazine in the late '90s!) and the photograph outside the Salford Lads Club is probably the most famous photo of The Smiths.

I hope you've liked your first little insight into our collection. Let me know if you have any questions :) Rosie x x



PS. Did you know most Smiths records have little messages in the run offs (matrix)? TQID original Rough Trade release has "Them was rotten days" and "Fear of Manchester" on either side. You can read a little more about these here.


6 comments:

  1. I love records... there's just something more special about them :) I'm a collector too and love leafing through piles of dusty vinyls in charity shops! I think 'How Soon Is Now?' is possibly my fave song by The Smiths... but I'm not sure haha! xx

    janesjumbles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love records (and the Smiths!). I just dig some digging through my local record store's used bins this weekend and found some good stuff! Record shopping is so much fun.

    -Becca
    Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great album!

    Melissa
    http://wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! I rarely see ones like this on blogs so it's great to see it here. This was the first Smith record I bought and it's incredible, love these pictures :)

    http://www.ragsoflove.com/ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. really detail pic! love it
    http://girlonstreet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete