Monday, 22 July 2013

Freedom on Four Wheels

Dress: New Look (last summer)
Shoes: Fred Perry

Learning to drive was the best decision I made. Days after my 17th birthday I was driving around a local trading estate, learning how to reverse around corners and do three point turns. (Note: has anyone actually ever had to reverse around a corner like you're taught too?) Unfortunately, I failed my driving test twice, due to silly mistakes which I probably do all the time. But I was seriously heartbroken and told my parents I was giving up. My Mum went ahead and booked my next test, told me I was doing it, and I passed with no problems. I'm so grateful for her for pushing me further because she knew I could do it. My first car was a cute little 2000 plate Volkswagen Polo, Little Red, bought with money left to me from my Grandad. I drove us and our friends to Newquay for a week in Summer, we made it to Cardiff and back a few times, plus I had a whole new found freedom. I could book gig tickets without having to ask my parents if they could pick me up after. I could go to the cinema or go shopping whenever I wanted. I could put 'Full UK Driving License' on my CV and knew it meant something to future employers. Little Red was amazing, but after nearly 4 years with me as a driver, she started to fail. A few things went wrong which I paid to get repaired, but I knew I needed to move on to something more reliable for the future.



A few weeks before my 21st birthday, I put my first car up for sale in local newspapers and headed into my nearest Volkswagen garage to dream about my next car. Because my first VW had been so brilliant, I knew I'd look for another one. An hour or so later, I walked out with my name down on a deposit of a brand new Volkswagen Polo Match. On the 1st March 2012, I picked up Little Red v2 and we've already had so many adventures.


We've driven to Old Trafford to watch Manchester United beat Norwich. We've road tripped to Southend-on-Sea to surprise Ash's Mum a few days before Christmas. We headed to Thorpe Park, twice, to ride The Swarm and the Saw ride. We went to 3 different Blink-182 gigs last Summer - Birmingham, Cardiff and Bournemouth. We've taken impromptu drives to the beach. I've driven to wedding venues to take photographs. I drive myself to work every day. Having my car is the closest thing I've felt to freedom my whole life. There's no better feeling that getting out of bed one day with nothing planned and knowing you could drive almost anywhere you wanted. In the wonderful words of Blink-182 - "a tank of gas is a treasure to me."


If you're packing up your car (or bike!) and travelling away from home, you might want to speak to Footman James who offer classic bike insurance* and classic car insurance at competitive rates, including breakdown cover in the EU. I wonder if I'll take my car out of the UK one day?

The best part of this story? I still see the girl I sold my first car too driving her around town. It's actually slightly comforting to know it's still going. It's crazy how attached I got!

Do you drive? What car do you have? Do you feel the freedom too?
Rosie x

All these photos were taken by Ash using my Canon 550D.

10 comments:

  1. Firstly, you look stunning- what a gorgeous dress!

    I'm so annoyed with myself that I can't drive, it's such a huge hinderance on my life! I failed first time, then moved to uni and could never afford to do any more lessons or tests... Now it's almost four years later and I've forgotten which one the clutch is! Well done you for persevering, clearly it's paid off, look at how much fun you're having!! Jel!

    Rosie x
    Www.everythingsrosieblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks! It was pretty scary to do an 'outfit' post for the first time..!

      Awh that's such a pain, perhaps it's time to get back behind the wheel ;) X

      Delete
  2. I love you dress! I actually learned how to drive at 19, which is considered old here in Miami. Everyone here has their learning permits by 15 and by 16 their licenses. My dad was deadly afraid of me driving though lol it took a while for him to get over the panic of his little girl being out there in the sea of horrible Miami drivers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) It's weird how young you can pass your test in the US! Aren't most cars in America automatics, rather than stick shifts? X

      Delete
  3. This dress is so so beautiful on you- love the color and the print!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such neat photos - the dress is really pretty and I loove the colour of your car!

    Best,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post. I came across it on Twitter. I passed my driving test at 23 first time. But before I passed, I found it so hard learning how to drive, I would get frustrated and cry and would get nervous during lessons. Now I look back and I'm happy that I've gotten my license.
    Mary
    popgoesfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress and your hair complement perfectly! I just stumbled on your blog and i love it!
    www.ellofashionista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely summery look! Great tattoos too! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Failing your driving test twice doesn't mean that you should give up. Try and try until you succeed! You know, others even took more than four or five trials before they passed. Well, you should really be grateful to your mom, as she didn't stop encouraging you. See, you passed the test, and you now enjoy every drive! :) Keep safe always, Rosie!

    Mia Patch @ Rookie Driver

    ReplyDelete