Monday, 15 July 2013

The Flip Side : The Horrible Crowes - Elsie


Artist: The Horrible Crowes
Album Title: Elsie
Release Year: 2011
Label: Side One Dummy Records
Bought From: Raves It From The Grave, Frome (March 2013)
Price: £18.99
Special Features: Red vinyl
Favourite Song: Crush

I first downloaded Elsie to my iPhone when Ash was in hospital for a night after a shoulder operation. I was feeling a bit low (not half as low as Ash must have been feeling though...) and needed some new music. I already had a big love for The Gaslight Anthem and had heard murmurings about The Horrible Crowes, but only watched a couple of YouTube videos. It's not often that I'll take the plunge on iTunes, but I'm seriously glad I did as Elsie shortly became one of my favourite albums of that time. Brian Fallon's lyrics are just as beautiful as every Gaslight song, but the music is so different - so much sadder, darker and calmer.


I picked up this record only at the beginning of this year. It was more than I would have liked to pay for an album which I already owned on my iTunes, but I had to have it. It's not very often that we'll pay out that much for something brand new. My favourite song is Crush - "Pour yourself a drink, I'll sing you a song, don't worry 'bout the money, honey, I got a tab a mile long."  Following that, I love the lyrics of Ladykiller and the ballsiness of Behold The Hurricane.


Although the sleeve itself is nothing too special, the record is a gorgeous blood red which looks amazing with the black and white artwork.

If you like music with guitars but find yourself pining for something a little quieter sometimes, then have a listen to Elsie. I've linked to Ladykiller below. Let me know what you think!

The Horrible Crowes - Ladykiller

To see more from The Flip Side series, click the link in the left sidebar! Rosie x



12 comments:

  1. nice post!

    http://alovelystyle.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your lovely words on my last post!
    Love coloured records, they are so pretty!

    Have a great day,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  3. My office computer doesn't have a speaker and I left (or lost, not sure yet) my earphones, so I'll definitely check them out when I get home. Thanks for sharing.

    xo Kisty of The Style Mermaid

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely gonna have to give them a listen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. in love with this post, and your whole entire blog in general.

    lots of love from the casper&pearl girls – a little Aussie fashion brand
    casper&pearl blog
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to check them out, I love hearing about new music!

    xo

    Ashley

    Southern (California) Belle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I love that song. Gonna check em out.

    Heidi’s Wanderings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard quite a few people talking about The Horrible Crowes but have never actually heard them myself, I'll need to give them a listen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. never heard of them - will check them out now x

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks you for sheare this song..it's amazing!

    xx from Italy
    Giulia
    www.lenuagerose.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing album <3 Seeing Ladykiller live made me fall in love with it even more x

    ReplyDelete