Monday, 26 August 2013

Reading Festival 2013


It's been almost 7 hours since we bundled through the front door this morning, stinking of campfire and wanting a good cup of tea, but I can already safely say that Reading Festival 2013 was brilliant. The important things have been accomplished - longest shower ever and watching this weeks episode of Breaking Bad - and whilst Ash is having a nap I thought I'd have a look through the photos from the weekend.


If there's one thing I really noticed about Reading this year, was that size makes a difference. Security said that they'd made the arena 50ft bigger in every direction. It felt huge! This meant lots more walking around the site and also in camp. Last year the lockers were a lot closer to our camp than this year. Just after Green Day finished playing Dookie on the Friday night I was so tired that I went back to the tent to get an early night. This is coming from the same girl who would have stayed up until 2am every night a few years ago, and still been out of the tent by 9 the next morning - I am getting old! The sheer size of the festival grounds really changed the atmosphere.

 
Once again we camped with friends we met at Reading 4 years ago. It's great to know that there's always people around looking out for each other, even if you haven't seen them for an entire year. When we arrived on Thursday morning, they'd already set up two sunflower gazebos, and by the middle of the afternoon it was four. Safe to say we had the campest camp. #quadzebo



On Friday, we watched Gnarwolves, While She Sleeps, New Found Glory, Frank Turner, Bastille, System of a Down and Green Day, as well as catching some comedy acts in the Alternative Tent. Frank Turner was a massive highlight, after falling in love with Tape Deck Heart when it was released earlier in the year, and it was awesome to see System too. We were stood next to the most rock and roll family ever, and the kid on his Dad's shoulders with a pink mohawk knew every single word to every song they played. Hero!




On Saturday, we saw Decade (a local band) rock the Lock Up Stage, Lower Than Atlantis, Twin Atlantic, The 1975, Johnny Marr, Foals, Chase & Status and Eminem. Johnny Marr was wonderful, and it was amazing to hear some of my favourite Smiths songs live.
At some point in the course of Saturday evening, the bars started to get really packed and Ash and I thought it would be fab to order two ciders each... my feet still ache from the amount of dancing we did, and the fun we had during Eminem! A total once in a life time show.



On Sunday morning, I instantly regretted how fast I'd gotten through those Pear Gaymers the night before (I think I may have had 9 pints that afternoon...) and we headed into the Alternative Tent again to cure my hangover with laughter. Katherine Ryan was HILARIOUS. YouTube her. When I finally started to feel more human, we saw Editors, a bit of The Lumineers, Haim, Disclosure, Fall Out Boy, a bit of Gallows, Funeral for a Friend and Biffy Clyro. FFAF seriously owned the Rock Stage, but those boys have never disappointed any of the 7 or so times I've seen them. The pyros for Biffy were brilliant as well.



Although we both had a really brilliant time, I'm not sure if I can safely say that I'd go back to Reading next year for a fifth time. The novelty of £4.70 pints and £6 noodles has worn off, and there's only so many bum cheeks hanging out of short shorts that one girl can take. Travelling with all our gear is so tiring that it knocked me for the whole festival - my shoulders still ache 4 days after lugging our camping gear from the hotel to the site. The whole atmosphere felt less friendly and intimate.

But then I look back on the music, the laughs and the amazing memories and I wonder if I'd ever want to give that feeling up. So, Reading, maybe I'll see you next year.



8 comments:

  1. Ahhh, Johnny Marr is going to be at Festival No.6 and I am sooo looking forward to hear him play my favourite Smiths numbers! Looks like you had a great time :)

    Chelsea
    Love in Modern Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was sooooooo good! Total surprise of the weekend :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great time! Lovely pictures :)

    www.hudasbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johnny Marr was sooo good, and I'm glad he played some of The Smiths songs. I know what you mean about bum cheeks hanging out of every girls shorts, seriously one trend I really don't understand. It was first time at Reading and I really didn't expect everyone to be so young!

    www.laurensibs.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a blast! I can relate to being so ready to just go home at the end of it though. I love festivals, but they're exhausting. I'm bummed I didn't make any this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and I love your dress!

    xo

    Ashley

    Southern (California) Belle

    ReplyDelete
  6. reading looks so good!! so jealous
    and i love your hair
    A
    www.23ofashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like fun!
    Your blog is great too, going back to check out past posts now!

    Kendra
    xx

    Blog: Stolen Inspiration
    Instagram: KendraAlexandra
    Facebook: StolenInspiration

    ReplyDelete