Sunday, 29 September 2013

Roasted Butternut Squash, Red Pepper & Chilli Soup Recipe

It's a Sunday afternoon at the end of September. The sun is still shining but there's a crispness in the air. There is only one lunchtime recipe which will suit a day like today, and that's my favourite soup! This seasonal recipe is a hell of a lot more satisfying than canned soup and it's very easy to make. It's packed with healthy squash, and has a hint of metabolism boosting chilli. Basically, it's good for you and tastes amazing!

You will need:
1 butternut squash, medium sized
1 red pepper
1 fresh chilli
1 ltr of stock (I used chicken)
First of all, you need to roast the squash. Cut it into halves or quarters and scoop out the seeds. Place in a roasting tray, season with salt and pepper and spray with Fry Light (or drizzle with olive oil if you're being naughty!) Roast at 180 degrees for 20 minutes, or until the flesh starts to become tender. Allow it to cool in the tray for 10 minutes, and then scoop out the flesh.

Chop the red pepper into large chunks, deseed the chilli and cut in to small pieces and add both to a pan over a low heat. Cover the pan and allow the pepper and chilli to sweat for 5 minutes. Use this time to mix up the stock.

When the peppers are softened, stir in the butternut squash flesh and heat through for a few minutes. Then pour over the stock and allow everything to simmer on a low heat with a lid on for 10 minutes.

Next up, you need to smooth the soup. I use a hand blender, but you could of course blitz it in a food processor - just be careful transferring the hot liquid.
When all the lumps are gone, ladel into bowls and grind some black pepper over the top. Best served piping hot with a big hunk of tiger bread (I wish!) For me, this soups is just the right amount of heat, but if it's too spicy for you, stir through some natural yoghurt or cream to neutralise.

I'm really looking forward to taking some to work for lunch tomorrow :) What's your favourite autumnal soup?

Rosie x

PS. I'm nearly at 100 Bloglovin' followers! I will be doing my first ever giveaway when I hit 100 :)

PPS. This post is an entry in the 1st edition Tiendo cooking competition 'Seasonal Recipes' - http://www.tiendeo.co.uk/Bath

11 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious! :) x

    http://blueskygazing.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore vegetable soup and this looks amazing! I make a soup with roast butternut squash, sweet potatoe and marrow.
    xx
    Madison's Assortment

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so yummy Rosie, I'm tempted to get a hand blender just to try it out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I love butternut squash soups, I just hate having to cut up the butternut squash!!

    Hmm maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mouth was watering just reading that post! I'm definitely going to try that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow I might try this one soon!! thanks for sharing!! <3 Looks really good :(
    http://shericaocbania.org/blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks awesome, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh this looks yummy
    xx,
    Justina
    www.abentpieceofwire.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks yummy!

    http://thefashioncanyon.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete