Monday, 21 October 2013

Google Nexus 7 Tablet Review

When Argos sent me a Google Nexus 7* to try out, I was uncertain. As a self-confessed lover of all things Apple (she says typing this on a Mac, with iPhone and iPad not too far away) I thought I would never get on with an Android tablet. But hey, maybe you can teach old, slow dogs new lighter, faster tricks.
The Nexus 7 is seven inches of thin, light and powerful excitement. The screen has 2.3 million pixels and shows videos in 1080p HD. It's SO much faster than my iPhone and iPad and works beautifully with Blogger and Gmail - the two apps which get a lot of use on my phone. As a complete Android n00b, I found operating system really easy to get to grips with, and it's a lot lighter to carry in my bag than my iPad.

I've had it for a couple of weeks now and am still to recharge the battery. This is a massive selling point for me as my Apple batteries seem to die incredibly quickly, particularly when using Bloglovin'. Another plus is that you can have different secure 'profiles,' allowing others to use the same tablet whilst keeping the owner's profile totally secure. I'm excited to share it with Ash so he can do all his Christmas shopping online... for presents for me ;)

The only negative feature is the camera. First of all, it took me AGES to find. The Nexus doesn't come with a camera app so I had to download 'Camera Launcher for Nexus 7' from the Play Store. When I did find it, I realised that there was only a front-facing camera. Sure, it's a total treat for selfies (see below!), but not so great when you want to Instagram things which aren't your own face.

All in all, the Nexus has taught me that Apple isn't the only way forward, and that the Android market can be just as satisfying - if not more so. I am loving having this tablet to whip out when my iPhone screen isn't quite big enough, and it's definitely winning over my iPad right now.

Google Nexus 7 is available from Argos from £159.99.

Are you an Apple lover like me, or do you use an Android? Which tablet do you prefer?

Rosie x
PS. Thank you Ash for taking these photos of me in Cafe Nero, Wells!

3 comments:

  1. Alot of my friends have jumped ship from iPhones to Samsungs etc! Apple doesn't have flash which is annoying if there's a video I want to watch on my phone. It's much more affordable than an Apple product too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh you lucky lady! This sounds great, I've not really looked into the Nexus tablet before!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Android vs. Apple...I feel like blood has been shed over this debate. ;) Maybe I'm just not techy enough but I don't really dote on any one side, I just like my gadgets to work. This tablet looks like a great deal, I might have to put it on my Christmas list!

    ReplyDelete