Sunday, 20 October 2013

Pretty Little City

Not only is Wells the smallest city in England, it's also my favourite. No matter what time of year it is, a stroll around the moat is always so lovely. Wells holds a pretty special place in my heart. My Grandparents on my Mum's side live just outside the city - Gramps went to Wells Cathedral School before taking on the family farm, and my Mum went to Wells Blue School. My Grandad on my Dad's side lived in Wells after my Gran passed away, volunteering at the Cathedral Library and celebrity spotting. I'll never forget when he called me to say that "the man from that pirate film was here earlier" - my Grandad was steps away from Mr Johnny Depp, self-confessed West Country lover. When my Grandad passed, his funeral was held in Wells Cathedral, and that still takes my breath away every time I think of it.
Saturday morning in Wells is my favourite. The farmers market rolls into the High Street, filled with local produce, plants and the real reason we go... a record stall. Today I came away with a Jimi Hendrix compilation, ABBA: The First 10 Years compilation and an original soundtrack from the movie Grease. Oh the singalongs in my room are about to hit a whole new level. We also stopped by the Pieminister stall - I had a Heidi pie (Somerset goats cheese, sweet potato, spinach and red onion) and Ash went for a Free Ranger (chicken, ham hock, leek and West country cheddar), both sat on a bed of mash and mushy peas and slathered in gravy. Yum.
I always forget how lucky I am to live smack bang in between arguably the prettiest cities in England - Wells and Bath. I'm already looking forward to the Bath Christmas market meet up which Megan from Briar Rose has so kindly organised.

What's your favourite city? Have you been to Wells?
Rosie x

7 comments:

  1. Nice photos! I never been to Wells but it looks very nice !
    Bordeaux is my favourite in France and Salamanque in Spain! XX
    evaetsandra.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Wells but i'd love to visit, it looks lovely!X

    electra-violet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a beautiful place to have memories like yours!

    That pie looks amazing!

    Hmm maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures - Wells looks like a beautiful place to visit.

    Jenny
    xx

    somelikeitstyled.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, how lovely! i love these photographs here, and that dessert looks wonderful!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbitblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wells Cathedral looks incredible, I bet it evokes quite strong emotions. It looks so intricate, I'm off to see if I can find any more images of it.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved stumbling across this - I am from Shepton but I went to school in Wells (the Blue School) and my family still have a pasta stall at the farmers' market every Wednesday. It is a beautiful city :)

    ReplyDelete