Thursday, 2 January 2014

As You Mean To Go On

Photo from my Instagram
I have a love/hate relationship with New Years celebrations. When I was young, my Aunty and Uncle had a pub and threw amazing fancy dress parties every year. Then they had my cousins, sold the pub and the parties stopped. In my late teens, house parties with all of our friends were our way to show in the next year. But life happened, we grew up and our parents stopped letting us have half of the town arrive in our front rooms. I worked 2011's New Year at the pub. It was a lot of fun, but so busy that we didn't stop for a drink until midnight, and then it was straight back to pouring more pints before wandering home at 3am wondering what the heck just happened. To welcome 2012, we went into town and left before 11pm because it was SO busy. Last year, we stayed in with my parents, toasted a glass of cava to 2013 and slumped off to bed before 1am. So this year, it had to be different. Although I was in the worst mood all afternoon, and probably would have quite happily slumped around at home by myself, I was grateful to spend the first half of my evening with my three best girls drinking pink wine, munching on Sensations and watching Step Brothers. Then my 'Knight in Shining Armour' aka a half-drunk Ash, whisked me away to the pub before 11 so we could share a few rum and cokes with each other before sneaking a kiss at midnight and wobbling home at 2am.
I think that we always have amazingly high expectations for New Years Eve, so it always seems underwhelming when it actually arrives, but I'm very glad to have spent the night the way we did... and then cook a mean fry up in the morning to really get the year off to the best start. Well, they do say to start off the year as you mean to go on.

How were your New Years celebrations?

Rosie x

9 comments:

  1. I'm one of those in the "NYE is overrated" camp. I don't see why people spend £50 on a ticket to be allowed in a bar which is free for the rest of the year. You end up crammed in, offered a half-fizzy glass of cheap cava and are supposed to be grateful that you're there? Err, no thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you on this one! NYE has always been overrated for me, now I just stay in and watch some good TV. If you go out out, the prices are ridiculous anyway and I'm not prepared to be overcharged! :-) x

    thegirlfromsussex.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a short, sweet and simple post to read! I have the same opinion on New Year as you really. When you are younger, it's totally different. I think everyone should celebrate the New Year in their own way, even if it means going to bed before the count down. Whatever makes them happy ey!

    Happy New Year!

    New fan, Daniela - www.ohellabella.blogspot.co.uk
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree a lot with your assessment of new years eve and in fact, just wrote something similar on my blog. i think people tend to hype the holiday up and focus more on what they are missing, or that they haven't had enough of a year, instead of just spending the evening with the ones we should be lucky to have in our life!

    rae from lovefromberlin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankfully my friend's parents are still letting him throw house parties - even at the grand old age of 23! So that's where I was! It was such a good night, house parties these days are like going back in time to 2007! Happy new year :)

    Natalie | Just a Thought

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment on our new post! We replied underneath but thought we'd share some love!

    We had quite a low key evening and celebrated by eating our body weight in chinese food and watching a few movies. It was nice! We love two things about your celebrations: rum and Stepbrothers!!

    We're wishing you the best for 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never gone out on NYE, I always spend it in my pyjamas feeling very cosy at home and it's my favourite way to spend it. I'm pleased this year you had a lovely time! <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a lovely NYE to me!! I ended up feeling sick half way through the evening out with friends and became the biggest party pooper ever. Hooray 2014. ;] I sure hope that isn't a prediction of the year to come.

    ReplyDelete