Monday, 27 January 2014

Simple Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe

I haven't baked since at least October. Having ambitious weight loss goals isn't very compatable with lemon drizzle cakes and chocolate tarts. But this weekend, I just wanted to bake. Ash was fishing, Mum and Dad were out, and I fancied some time to myself in the kitchen. In my (almost) 23 years on this earth, I have never baked cookies. So I looked for some simple recipes, slightly adjusted them as I always do, and made a batch of choc chip cookies. No sweat, I got this.

To make approximately 12 cookies, you will need:
125g butter, softened
100g light brown soft sugar
125g caster sugar
1 egg
1tsp vanilla extract
225g self-raising flour
30g cocoa powder
175g chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a couple of baking trays with greaseproof paper, or if you haven't got any like I didn't, rub butter over the base to stop the cookies sticking.
2. Cream together the butter and sugars until light, then add the egg and vanilla.
3. Sift together the flour and cocoa powder, then gradually fold into the mixture. This took a lot of elbow grease!
4. Shake in your chocolate chips and mix in to spread them around.
5. In your hand, roll up walnut sized balls with the mixture and place on the tray. Press the tops down slightly to flatten them. I baked 8 on each tray, and some of them touched edges.
6. Bake for around 7 minutes for a chewy in the middle texture, or 10 minutes for more crunch. Allow to cool for a few minutes after taking them out to harden up the edges.
Best served still warm with a cuppa! I did try one (ok.. two) and they were lovely! I probably could have done with some more chocolate chips though. Once they had completely cooled, I very reluctantly packed them into a lunch box and let Ash take them to work.
After this simple recipe, I've got the baking bug again. I'm thinking ahead to what cake to make to take in to work for my birthday in February. Got any suggestions?
Rosie x

3 comments:

  1. i'm trying to expand my baking horizons, but like you I'm trying to lose weight so I'm trying only to bake for other people or when I know I'll have people coming over for dinner etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, i have cooked biscuits in ages. will have to try these! there's loads of raw and vegan baking options out there if you look for them - and they're actually pretty decent. they seem to be healthier ingredients wise - so maybe that's a way you can still bake :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for leaving such a darling comment on my blog!
    Wowzers, these look good. And what's a better partner than a nice cuppa!

    Have the best week ever,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete