Saturday, 22 February 2014

Puppy Love

Ash snapped these photos of Pheobe and I the other day. Phe is 12, she's a Yorkshire Terrier, and we think she's pretty much blind. You can see the whiteness in her eyes where her Cataracts is bad in the above photos. When we got her as a puppy, I could hold her in the palm of my hand. She was the tiniest girl, despite being the biggest in her litter. It's pretty heartbreaking to see her deteriorate so quickly, so I thought I'd share a few things about my favourite pup with you.
One day, Mum had spotted an advert in the local paper for Yorkie puppies. Before I knew it, we'd visited the litter and had our name down for this girl. We called her Pheobe after her mother - we couldn't think of anything else, and it definitely suited her. We'd never had a small dog before so I thought it was wonderful. She was such a cutey! She's play around our feet, chase the cats and quickly became a massive part of our family. I wish we had more photos of her when she was young so you could see how tiny she was, but you'll just have to take my word for it.
In her older age, she loves to jump up on the sofa for a cuddle.  She will fall asleep within minutes, and sometimes she snores. She won't sit up on the sofa by herself though, opting only to snuggle up on our laps. If the fire's lit, she'll plonk herself down on her side and lie there for hours undisturbed. Queen of Chill.
She has major small dog syndrome. Too many times she's picked on our Springer Spaniel Meg, and come out worse for wear. But now Phe is blind and Meg is deaf, they just don't bother each other anymore. It's like they're a pair of old girls who used to have beef, but decided to leave all the troubles behind and retire peacefully.
Pheobs is a little scrounger! We taught her to say please whilst she was young and every morning when I'm making breakfast, she barks around my feet asking for hers. It's part of her character that I really love :)
This girl CARES. That probably sounds silly, but animals have a wonderful sense of knowing when something's not right. If I'm upset or ill, she'll trail me around until I settle down. She'll climb into my lap and try to lick me, and stare into my eyes until I've stopped crying.

She is the most special pet I've ever had, and I dread the day she's not around any more.

Do you have a favourite pet?
Rosie x

1 comment:

  1. Aw this is so sweet, she sounds wonderful and makes me want a dog even more. My mum doesn't want one so I'll have to wait till I move out but I think they're the best pet to have. They just seem to care so much and there's nothing wrong with having too much love!
    Amy x
    Everything and Amy

    ReplyDelete