Monday, 12 May 2014

Cruising the San Francisco Bay

"When you get tired of walking around San Francisco, you can always lean against it." - Unknown.

I know this sounds like a super cliche, but I fell in love with San Francisco, and everything about it. The steep hills, the rain, the people, the atmosphere... Our week there was so incredible, and I'm dreaming of a time in the future when I can go back. Maybe not any time soon - this Earth of ours has plenty of other places to explore - but someday, maybe, I'll be able to visit the gorgeous Bay area again.

My favourite evening in Frisco was the night we cruised the Bay. I booked our cruise through Viator (this one here), for just over £30 each. That included a 2 hours cruise around the San Francisco Bay, a complimentary drink, dinner and on board entertainment. It was an absolute steal as we had a fantastic evening and I got some beautiful photos. We set sail from Pier 43 and a half with the historic San Franciscan Red and White Fleet and headed towards the Golden Gate Bridge.
I took photos of the bridge from every angle - on approach, whilst going underneath, and on the way back. We got selfies, took each others photos and took photos for other guests on board. The sea air was cold and fresh and the wind whipped my hair about, but I didn't care, because I was in San Francisco and I was happy.
I always judge an occasion by it's buffet, and this one got full marks. Chinese style noodles, salads and olives, bread and dips... it was pretty perfect. We settled down with a couple of Corona's and watched the city as we floated by, filling our faces ;)
We saw Alcatraz Island from every angle, and got a really good feel for how much of a rock it really was. So close to the city, but so far as well. We passed other tour boats and waved to them. On board our boat was a guitarist, singing some American classics as well as other songs we didn't know. But it didn't matter - people were up dancing, singing along, and tapping their feet.
Our cruise took us right out under the Bay Bridge and round to AT&T Park, where we'd watched the Giants a few nights before. It was then that I realised how small San Francisco is, but how vast it felt. We passed by all the different districts and landmarks within minutes of each other. It's the sweetest little city.
As we headed back towards the Pier, the sun began to set, and I couldn't stop nipping outside to take photos. I took over 50 photos just of the sunset behind the Golden Gate - but in that time I stopped to think. I don't think I've ever been as happy as I felt that night. I am just a small person experiencing this big world from a different angle.
For more from our San Francisco trip, click here.
 

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh I fell in love with SFO when I went there too! And seeing your photos tugs at my heart, especially as I went around the same time, at the start of April last year. Like you, I'd love to go back but I wonder whether it might be better to leave it this way, still in love with the place, rather than going back and being disappointed. But maybe that's a silly way to look at it too. Anyway, some great photos! Glad you enjoyed it. :D

    Jen | gingerellaj.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a few different posts about SF the last week and I just want to hop on a plane and go!

    bluehairinbelgium.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete