Saturday, 18 October 2014

Meat Free October - half way (with Slimming World recipes!)

On 1st October, I decided to go meat free for the month. As someone who would eat meat at least once a day, it's been quite a change for me. Here's the story...

I've been a Slimming World member for over a year, and unfortunately, am struggling to get to my target which is still over a stone away. Although the Extra Easy plan is simple and effective, I found myself getting lazy and stuck in a rut of losing one week then putting on the next. Before we went to Zante, I vented to my consultant, and she suggested I tried the Green plan for a week to see what results I got. I found it pretty easy to go meat-free for just a week, stocking up on Quorn products and loads of vegetables. At weigh in, I was chuffed to have lost 3lb. On EE, my normal weight loss is usually only 1lb a week if I'm lucky, so I was pretty sold on Green. We got back from holiday on 30th September, and from 1st October I have been strictly veggie in an attempt to kick start my weight loss journey again.

I'm now 18 days in, and although I don't miss meat completely, I am starting to get urges - especially last Sunday when I woke up to the smell of bacon cooking in the kitchen... regardless, I am staying strong and continuing with Green until at least 31st October.

Here's some of my meals so far. All photos taken from my SW Instagram, @rosieslims

Easy lunch

Pasta N Sauce Mac and Cheese. I added orange pepper, green beans and chilli flakes to the pasta whilst it was cooking on the hob, then served with a small side salad, including beetroot which is a natural metabolism booster.

Saturday Night Dinner
Mushy pea curry and Slimming World Chips! The first time I heard of the curry I thought it sounded disgusting... I was SO wrong.  Here's the recipe:

Spray a pan with Fry Lite and fry off a red onion with any veg you like for 5 minutes (I usually use peppers, mushrooms, green beans and sweet corn, but this time I had some sweet potato too!) Add 3 tins of mushy peas, 1 tin of chopped tomatoes and curry powder to taste - I went for 4tsp medium curry powder. Cook on a high heat for 5 minutes, then turn down to a simmer and cover. I usually let mine simmer for as long as it takes the chips to cook. This is just as nice with rice or a jacket potato.

 Sunday Brunch
Just a simple meat-free breaky. Eggs scrambled with black pepper, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms, baked beans and toast.

Sunday Lunch
Here I substituted the normal roast chicken for a Quorn peppered steak, with loads of veg and a small amount of gravy.

Week night dinner
Sweet potato, chickpea and red lentil curry, which I heat up with fresh chilli.

Fry off  half a red onion and a finely chopped chilli, then add 1 medium sized sweet potato  and continue to cook until softened. Finely add a tin of tomatoes, a tin of chickpeas (drained), 50g red lentils, and 4tsp of curry powder. Simmer for 20 minutes and serve with rice.



I've already lost another 3lbs doing Slimming World's Green Plan, and hopefully I'll keep losing until the end of the month.

Do you follow Slimming World? What are your favourite ways to substitute meat? 

1 comment:

  1. I'm a meat eater but if I had to replace it... Mushrooms for the win!!

    ReplyDelete