Monday, 5 January 2015

Why I Am A Dryathlete

This January, I am taking part in Cancer Research UK's Dryathalon. Here are the rules...
Sounds easy? You're right; it is easy. When your house isn't full of leftover booze from Christmas! I have always loved a drink, and I probably always will. (Don't forget about my Liquor Love posts!) But, I have taken this pledge of no booze for 31 days because I hate cancer. I hate what it does to people. How it wears them down to the core and snatches them away. How a life can change just by hearing the C word.

I felt weak last night - my final evening off work before the January Blues really hit. The fire was roaring. I was in my PJs, tummy full after a lovely roast dinner. Ash put on the DVD he bought me for Christmas, The Fault in Our Stars. And then I remembered why I wasn't going to sneak a cheeky Budweiser. Because cancer is everywhere. It affects so many people, directly or indirectly.

Cancer took my Grandad's life 8 years ago tomorrow. Cancer took my Mum's best friends life from her last Spring, leaving her husband and young children behind. Cancer took my next door neighbour in December. Cancer attacked my colleague in Autumn - she is sick from the chemo, but fighting. Cancer attacked a family friend in Summer - she is waiting for radiotherapy, but fighting. Cancer attacked my boss 3 years ago; but she is in remission.

The cure for cancer is closer than it has ever been before, and it's getting closer each day. With the right amount of money and research, we can beat cancer sooner. And we will.

If you would like to sponsor me during my Dryathalon, you can do so here: https://www.justgiving.com/RosieW-dryathlete2015/
Or you could have a wardrobe clear out and donate some unwanted items to your nearest Cancer Research UK charity shop.
Or perhaps setup a small direct debit a month - just £2 a month can make all the difference.

Together, we will beat cancer. Do something amazing.

Thank you x

PS. Please let me know if you are also participating in the Dryathalon, and I will make a donation to your JustGiving. Go team!

No comments:

Post a Comment