Tuesday, 17 March 2015

A Hobby : Cross Stitch

I think it's important to have hobbies. Something which you can immerse yourself in completely, practice and improve on, and help aid relaxation. As a child, I used to cross stitch with my Gran - she taught me everything I know - but I only picked it up again last year. I started with a couple of small pieces from Cross Stitcher magazine, and then went all out on this as a gift for my friends Jade and James who moved into their first home last year. Pattern from Etsy.
As soon as this was finished, I got the bug, and began work on a much harder pattern - Darth Vader. The reason it was hard was because there was so much block colour. I was forever miss counting and unpicking. I finished it just days before Christmas. But the finished result was a success and Jack loved it. Pattern from Etsy.
I gave myself a little break after Christmas and the rush of getting Vader finished, but just before Valentines day I wanted to work on something more personal. I googled 'cross stitch letters' and found this great generator website which allows you to print out a pattern in lots of different fonts. From that, I made a below, and added washi tape to the frame for a bit of extra personality.
I've really enjoyed getting back into a hobby, it's nice to have something to do at home in the evenings to help me unwind - although I haven't decided on my next pattern yet!

Have you ever tried cross stitching?

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, that's something I've been meaning to learn. It looks right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't used cross stitching since primary school but these look great! www.peachparade.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cross stitching but haven’t done any for years! I’ve been knitting instead, similar kind of this I guess! Look forward to seeing your next project ;)

    Alina x
    The Fairytale Pretty Picture

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love cross stitching, I did loads of it at university but haven't done so much the last 10 years or so. I do need to get back into it though because I still have a massive sampler celebrating the 2002 Golden Jubilee which I still haven't finished! xx

    ReplyDelete